Thursday, December 8, 2011

Keeping myself in check

Some days I find myeslf complaining about things that, quite frankly, make me look like an ass. For instance, the microwave quit working last night and the repair guy can't come until tomorrow to fix it. This means a day and a half or so with no microwave. I have been exceedingly annoyed by the fact that I have to walk all the way downstairs to grandma's apartment (she has her own apartment downstairs) just to heat up my coffee or heat up Molly's oatmeal. What an inconvenience.

Oh, the icemaker in the fridge is also not working. Can you believe that? I'm having to drink my beverages with no ice! Major inconvenience.

And the light in the oven isn't working which means I have to open the darn thing just to see what I'm cooking. So terrible and awful.

After stewing about my misfortunes for half the morning, I suddenly realized how selfish and spoiled my "misfortunes" made me sound...

I am thankful I have the modern convenience of a microwave to use in the first place and that I only have to walk down a flight of stairs in the warmth and safety of my own home to use that same modern convenience when mine isn't working.

I am thankful I have clean, safe water to drink (even if it isn't ice cold at the moment). I don't have to drink dirty, contaminated water or walk miles and miles barefooted to a well or stream just to have something to drink.

And a light in the oven is a total luxury and I have no idea why I even let myself get irritated by that in the first place.

Do you have those little things that you let get under your skin and fester until they seem to infect your entire mind and attitude for the day? Well, it's time to keep yourself in check and look at the big picture. Many of us have an abundance of what we truly need and it is so important to be thankful for that on a daily basis. Next time you find yourself cursing under your breath at how unfortunate you are because you burned your Eggo or you can't get good Wifi/3G service or you had to wait in line at Starbucks, remember those who would love to have those "problems" as their biggest worry.

I promise to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment